T1005: Weekly Update Jan 22, 2018
Post date: Jan 24, 2018 12:44:52 AM
Next Meeting, Tuesday, January 23
Tomorrow is our next regular meeting, starting promptly at 7pm. It will be jam packed with information.
1. This week will be Senior Patrol Leader and Patrol Leaders elections. Boys interested should prepare a short speech about why they would be a good leader.
2. Scouts working on First Class will be working on requirements 3a-3d. Life Scouts should be prepared to help these scouts with their requirements.
3. Scouts working on Second Class will be working on 2f and2g. Start Scouts and those working on Star should be prepared to help these scouts with their requirements.
4. We will be taking signups for the Winter and Luge Outing in February. Remember, due to the popularity of the event, registration must be completed by the end of the day on Tuesday.
5. Registration for Summer Camp is also happening and must be complete by January 30th.
6. Personal Management Merit Badge Kickoff. For scouts interested in Personal Management we will be kicking of a new class at the end of the regular meeting. This will just be a quick overview (15 to 20 minutes) as to the expectations for this badge. It is a 90-day badge and requires homework to be done! There is a limit of 8 scouts in this session. See Mr. Wilburn after the meeting.
PLEASE REMEMBER: DUE DATES are compulsory given facility requirements. Don’t miss out on some great opportunities.
Winter Outing – Luge – Final Signup!
We will be heading west again for our winter outing this year. We will stay at Camp Gerber, in a slightly more rustic accommodation than last year. The cabin is heated but no running water and latrines are a short walk. We will have a very PACKED Saturday. Starting in the morning with Luge. We will have 2 ½ hours to learn on one of only 4 luge tracks in the US. From there we will have other fun activities at the Muskegon Winter Sports Complex and State Park. Then head back to Camp Gerber for exploration and work on the Nova Whoosh award.
The deadline of January 23rd is imposed by the Muskegon Winter Sports Complex. Luge is very popular and we must give them a final count early so they can sell any extra tickets. We have a maximum of 28 spots available.
Dates: Friday, Feb 16th returning Sunday, Feb 18th.
Registration: Online (Registration Deadline: Tuesday, Jan 23)
Summer Camp – Secure you spot by Tuesday 30th
Just like last year, we have to provide camp a count (and non-refundable deposit) by the end of the month. We need to know commitments now! You can sign-up online like other events and pay the $100 deposit. Camp is $330 for the week again this year. $280 for scouts that achieved their Wreath Sales goal.
Camp will be June 24th to June 30th at Camp Rotary.
Please see me or Mr. Heverly if you are interested in being an adult leader at the camp. Please remember, we can’t go to out with adult support. Please consider going for the week and if that is too long, we can split the week in half.
Registration: Online (Commitments and Deposit Due: Tuesday, Jan 30)
Scout Sunday – February 4th
This is one of the few events that is important that Scouts attend. We are charted by the Christ Church of Cranbrook and this is a great way to represent the Boy Scouts, to remind the parishioners of our relationship with the church and reinforce our relationship with Church leadership. It is vital for a good showing at this very special service that highlights scouting.
Practice for Scout Sunday is on Tuesday, January 30th, and Scout Sunday is February 4th at the 10am service. Scouts arrive by 9:30am in the rear of the Sanctuary, wearing full Class A uniforms, nice pants (no jeans) and dress shoes.
All Scouts should be in attendance. If you cannot for any reason, you must see Mr. Heverly.
Scout Sunday – Part 2
On February 22nd our Scouts will be leading a Robot Adventure activity at the pack meeting for Pack 1709 in Troy. There are about 36 cubs in the Pack and building this relationship is a great opportunity to expand our ranks within the Troop over the next few years. In preparation for this event, Kevin has secured 5 Lego Mindstorm kits to put together robot models the cubs can work on at the Pack Meeting. Scouts will be assembling the models immediately following Scout Sunday.
Please register for Scout Sunday and the Lego Robot Build here. The system will process the registration like any event, with no cost, please complete the order like normal.
Michigan Crossroads Council –
Winter STEM Olympics – Call for Volunteers
Some of you have heard me talk about the Council Winter STEM Olympics event. It is being held at Kensington Metropark on February 10th. There is going to be cardboard sled races, Nova Award activities, Learn to Solder, a petting zoo, plus other fun. I’m the “king of the hill” and am organizing the activities on the sledding hill. I could really use some volunteers to help out during the day. There are positions for check in, sled inspection, race starters and timers, popcorn maker (in the warming tent), crowd control, soldering support, and more.
I’m looking for help from scouts and adults!
Time will be counted as service time for the scouts (for scouting and for school). The commitment would be from about 8:30am (checkin starts at 9am) and will end upwards of 5pm (times may be adjusted a little). There will be a couple of shifts (morning and afternoon) and you can volunteer for one or both shifts (with a break for lunch). Volunteers get…
- Special Winter STEM Games Staff Patch armband
- Hot Chocolate & Popcorn
- Event STEMblem (patch)
- Complimentary cardboard race entry
- Learn to Solder volunteers will get a blinkie
- Volunteer both shifts and get free lunch
Please let me know if you can help. A few people have volunteered, but I would really appreciate all the support I can get. THANK YOU!
University of Scouting – Saturday January 27th
The University of Scouting is an adult leader's learning adventure! It is an action-packed, fun-filled single day of supplemental training where you choose the sessions you wish to take. Sessions are led by experienced volunteers and professionals who will help you enhance your ability to deliver a fun and exciting program to the Scouts.
This is a great program! I did it last year and I’m supporting the STEM booth in the midway this year. You can view the course catalog here.
Learn more and register: https://scoutingevent.com/272-2018UofS
The event is at Lamphere High School (610 W 13 Mile Rd, Madison Heights, Michigan 48071)
· Registration (7:15 am – 8:15 am)
· Opening Ceremony (8:30 am – 8:45 am)
· Program Periods (9:00 am – 2:50 pm)
· Closing (3:00 pm - 3:20 pm)
Scout Sunday Rehearsal
Friends of Scouting Presentation
Regular Meeting (Bloomfield Township Public Library – downstairs room 2)
Winter Outing & Luge
Adult Committee Meeting
Troop 1005 Pack 1709 Meeting Takeover – Robot Activity
Order of Arrow Election